The day we buy a new bike, the first thing that comes in our mind is to go for a century ride one day. Now, whenever we plan to do it. We should always do it right, with less fatigue and more fun.
So, here are few thing you need to take care before you plan you plan your first century ride.
1. Make a bond with your Bike :-
Now, I am not asking you to love your bike more than your partner but it is important to have a relation so strong that you should forget everything when you are on its saddle.
It is always suggested to get your bike serviced after 500 km’s or 4 months. Then only your bike will love you back.
You should get the air pressure checked, check your bike for any loose screws and train your self on how to fix a flat Tyre.
2. Ride enough before your first century ride :-
Well, you cannot go for a 100 without enough practice. So, practice well enough and get used to your bike before you plan to go for the century ride.I suggest you to ride for a least of 500 km’s before you plan to go for a century ride.
While you are preparing for your first century ride. Here is a week schedule you should follow if cycling is the only physical activity you do :-
- A Short ride working on your cadence:- Now this ride needs not to be more than 20 km’s but you need to work on your cadence.
- High intensity ride :-Preferably a high elevation ride of 20-30 km’s with 20% gradient.
- Long ride:- A long ride of 40-50 km’s(preferably on weekend) to get used to long rides.
- Recovery ride :- Right after a long ride, it is important to have short and slow ride of 10-15 km’s.
3. Riding with proper gears:-
No matter how many accessories you will attach to your bike, you will still find many more you can still own with the cycling industry so big and growing. We should not go for everything that attract our eyes and unnecessarily add weight to our bikes but there are few must have accessories to own for a long ride like:-
- A gel padded shorts and a cycling jersey.
- A helmet for your safety
- Back and front high beam lights.
- A bottle holder with a sipper bottle
- Spare tube
4. Eating healthy and eating right:-
Now it is a topic with no debate at all. Every athlete has to eat healthy to stay fit and strong and same applies to a cyclist or a runner.
While you are on a century ride, it is suggested to carry energy gels and protein bars along to keep your energy level in check.
Also, make sure to eat healthy carbs diet 2 hours prior to the long ride. It can be a bowl of porridge or oats. And a banana or protein bars in between the ride will keep you going the distance.
5. Mental Strenght:-
After all the preparation set and done, it is all about the mental balance at the end. You should be confident and strong because of the efforts you have put in. Just take a 24 hours of rest before the big day and you are all set to achieve another milestone in your life.